Component Failures can lead to catastrophic consequences. In the unfortunate event that they occur, you need to know why they happened so that you can prevent them happening again. ALS expertise will help.
Failure Analysis and Root Cause analysis (RCA) are similar but not identical terms for describing techniques used in investigating an event or accident to determine the reasons why the event occurred.
Through our team of engineers, metallurgists, materials engineers, scientists and technicians, ALS boosts hundreds of years of experience in failure investigation and root cause analysis.
Our principal engineers and scientists are well accredited with recognised qualification such as:
This broad team brings significant capacity to our clients in investigating incidents and failures, which means:
- ALS can provide large scale resourcing when required to turn around incident determinations in real time. ALS have mobilised multidisciplinary teams to turn around critical interpretations on behalf of our clients within hours.
- ALS can effectively investigate most failures and incidents and are able to provide expert opinions that you can be rely upon.
Our analysis staff rely on the best techniques to gather the critical facts they need to make interpretation as to the cause(s) of failure, including:
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Optical Microscopy
- Chemical analysis of both metals, their phases and any corrosion products.
- Mechanical tests to determine properties of the components inspected.
- Traditional and Advanced Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) techniques.
- Metallography techniques
Over our years of experience, ALS has investigated many thousands of component failures across all industries.